Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Immediate Action

I read a post on Albert Rasch's blog today.  It was about rifle magazines he is reviewing. (link here.)

One of his comments was how many misfires he has had, and it brought back memories of a page in an Army manual I read in the 1970s.

The Army has many manuals they call Soldier's Manuals.  They list tasks that each Military Occupational Specialty (job) has to know to perform correctly.  In the Infantry manual there is a page devoted to Immediate Action.  Immediate Action is the sequence of steps a soldier must follow to reduce a stoppage--handle a misfire.

The following is almost verbatim what is on the page:  (my comments are in parenthesis)

Task #xxx.  Immediate Action

In the event of a misfire, take the following action:

1.  Immediately yell "MISFIRE."*
(the asterisk is important)

2.  Use the key word, "SPORTS."

  • S Slap up on the magazine (to ensure it is seated)
  • P Pull back on the charging handle (to clear the chamber)
  • O Observe the cartridge and the chamber (to ensure it is clear)
  • R Release the charging handle (to chamber another round)
  • T Tap on the forward assist (the forward assist forces the bolt closed on an M-16)
  • S Squeeze the trigger
*In a combat situation do not yell misfire.

That was actually written in a soldier's manual.

TTFN

7 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Ahhhh...

Those were the days, I remember them well.

I used that as a ploy not to have to shoot the 25 meter targets. They were so shot full of holes, that you could drill it all day and never knock it down.

Later on I learned to shoot about five feet in front of it. The resultant spray of dirt and clay would knock the silhouette over.

Reminiscing.

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit
Southeast Regional OBS Coordinator

Deer Passion said...

I find it interesting that they had to note not to say 'misfire' in a combat situation... but I guess there's always that one person...

Pistolmom said...

Check out (www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com)

From Idaho

gary said...

Dennis, I've had trouble commenting on your site - enjoyed Skellum, always been a story person. I've seen frozen triggers in camp more times then I wish to remember. Never happened to me so far. I'll bet that is right at the top of the list of things that drive an outfitter nuts, or at least in the top 10. have you got such a list?

me said...

Gary, I don't have such a list. At the top is lack of shooting ability and lack of rifle maintenance. A guide or outfitter can only do so much. It is a let down to do the work and see an elk walk, or worse stagger, away. I wish more hunters shot. Thanks for the comment. I may work on a top ten (or is that a bottom ten?) list.

me said...

PS Gary, I have worked with tech issues with Blogger/Google and don't care for their system. If the comments doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do. It would be nice to talk to a real person.
The Skellum post was from a story I wrote a year or so ago and never used. Originally it was over 1500 words. Mark Atkinson has lots of experience with elephants, and has definitive views on how the international (read US) community treats elephants like world resources and doesn't care what overpopulation of elephants does to indigenous farmers in Zimbabwe. Anyway, I had forgotten about Mark and the piece until I helped trap sheep in January. When I thought about running the piece, everyone at MT FWP, who knew Mark, said he had gotten a promotion in Nevada. I cut the story to a smaller piece and added the Nevada stuff at the end. I am glad someone commented, as I have liked the story and Mark's work for a long time. This is rather long, but I do wish to thank you for the great comments! TTFN

EcoRover said...

Hmmm... only misfires I've ever known were from mishandling primers with oily hands. Loose nut on the loading lever.