Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Elk Hunter's Rifle

What's Important, but we won't go there now!


Since before David and Goliath, people have been searching for better ways of propelling rocks--and their successors--at opponents and wild game. A look into hunting or shooting magazines, or a sporting goods store indicate the search continues. As people search for the "super-whazzooo," they need to recall that Biblical accounts of David's conquest didn't include mention of his brand-new, shiny, high-velocity rock-throwing sling. It centered on the people of the story. Only David's accurate slinging and his will to succeed brought down Goliath.



We will skip following Biblical precedent of focusing on the individual, for now, and move on to the "super-whazzooo," or at least a simplified version. The individual will come later. I mean, who doesn't like guns? (besides Hillary, Schumer, et al.)


Whether it's David's sling,


a complex Olympic grade air rifle:



a less complex, but nearly as accurate high-power competition rifle,





or a hunting-type rifle,


the important consideration is they are all just "tools."


Some people like the crescent-wrench. Others constantly wield a Leatherman. Similarly, I have my view of what tool works best for Bull Elk, essentially what The Elk Hunter's Rifle should be.


If a Bull Elk is your quest, here are the elements that need to be addressed to build The Elk Hunter's Rifle: (links added as needed)


With those elements in mind, my perfect Elk Hunter's Rifle would be built on a Winchester Model 70 action, and have a medium-weight 22-inch barrel. Several years ago, I would have mounted a rear aperture (peep) sight and a sharp, square front post. As I have aged, my preference for sights has changed. Now I would opt for a Leupold 4x scope with a simple duplex reticle. It would be chambered for either a 30-06 or a 338-06. It would seem that I forgot the trigger, but one of the reasons I chose the Model 70 action is for its trigger.


Reasons for those decisions will be revealed as this series continues.


As a person who believes in K.I.S.S., I haven't built the perfect Elk Hunter's Rifle, but continue to use what is in the safe. Mostly I grab this Remington Model 700, in 300 Winchester Magnum:





The only bullet-launcher I own that comes close to The Elk Hunter's Rifle is this one:

This rifle is a sporterized Springfield 1903A3. It has taken more elk, deer and bear than I know, but I only take it out of the safe for occasional cleaning. My grandfather, Charlie Carter, bought this miliary rifle from the NRA for about $25 in the late 1950s. He cut and polished the barrel, fitted it for a scope and built the stock. No factory stock can compare in fit to a person. Surprisingly, everyone who has ever held this rifle remarks on the stock fit.

More later. Onward and upward.


TTFN

Back to: My Initial Response

Return to .300 Weatherby Magnum

1 comment:

EcoRover said...

I inherited Dad's little 308 Sako, and that's been a perfect rifle for a dozen or so elk: light, quick, accurate. Have also whacked a bunch with 25-06 Browing Bolt and a few with 257 Roberts M-70 Fthrwt, but the old 308 is sweet. Good triggers all.