Monday, November 17, 2008

About Page

About me and this here blog.

While my wife, Wende, and I were in the outfitting business we saw a lot of hunters and a lot of elk. Over 95% of our hunters had good elk within 200 yards of them, but only about 60% of them took those elk home. As an outfitter and businessman some people didn't believe those statistics. When we gave those statistics to prospective hunters at sport shows, we got sideways glances that seemed to indicate we were supposed to lie and tell them ANYTHING in order to book them.

Now, I am not in the business of booking hunters. It is my intent to use this blog as a vehicle to enlighten prospective elk hunters to the elements needed to build a good elk hunt. At times this blog will skirt the issue of guns, calibers, etc, but that isn't as important as finding a reputable outfitter or preparing to be successful--yes, just like in business.

This blog will also have odd, possibly silly stories and items that may not be just elk. There may be posts on Montana, Montana wildlife, or possibly simply Montana life.

I believe that a good hunt is as more about fellowship and good times than just killing the big bull.




Wife Wende, blue heeler Tippy, and I in outside Wende's cooktent.

Me?
I've been a wilderness guide for Montana elk, deer, black bear, grizzly bear (when they were huntable), Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat since 1973. I owned an outfit, C Guiding D Outfitters, LLP from the mid-1990s to 2003. Our camp was on Lynx Creek near the North Fork of the Sun River in Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. The North Fork is home to the only migrating elk herd in the state--excepting the elk that come to Montana from Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.
While I was in the Army, I had the following success:
  • 1st Place Marksman, 9th Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Washington
  • 2nd Place Marksman, I Corps
  • Member of the 6th Army Marksmanship Training Unit, Fort Ord, California
  • TDY member of the US Army Markmanship Unit, Fort Benning, Georgia
As a civilian shooter, I have been successful as well:
  • Montana Highpower Service Rifle Champion, 1995
  • 1227th Civilian to earn the Distinguished Rifleman Award (est. 1906)
  • Master Highpower classification
  • Life member National Rifle Association


Shooting with the Montana Team from 600 yards at the DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship, now know as Civilian Marksmanship Program) at Camp Perry, 1995.

Most important is that this is blog is a two-way street. If you want to hear something in particular or have questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to ask. Even at 49, I still learn something everyday.
As a post script I would like to add that I enjoy writing, but most of my life I have worked hard, packing mules, shoeing horses and guiding elk hunters. I try to leave silly stuff like "a no spin zone" with the Bill O'Reillys. This blog will have my spin. In my mind that is ethical and enjoyable hunting--something I miss seeing.

Waiting for the guides to bring another mule to load. My late friend Tippy is interested in the elk blood.
FYI: I live outside the small community of Augusta, MT along the east slopes of the Rocky Moutnain Front. The photo in the header of this blog is the view from my office window.